We are a diverse, loving spiritual community empowering growth, transformation and peaceful living.
Spiritually centered we celebrate a world of love, peace and abundance.
Unity of Buffalo Answers the Question: Who Have We Come Here to Be?
In 2010, our congregation answered the question, “Who have we come here to be?” by identifying our five most basic core values and writing a description of the values upon which our ministry is based and by which we the congregation live.
Unity of Buffalo Core Values:
Unity is a link in the great educational movement inaugurated by Jesus Christ; our objective is to discern the truth in Christianity and prove it. The truth that we teach is not new; neither do we claim special revelations or discovery of new religious principles. Our purpose is to help and teach mankind to use and prove the eternal Truth taught by the Master. - Charles Fillmore, Unity co-founder
The foundational principle for all Unity teachings is that there is only one presence and one power living as the universe and as all life, God the Good, Omnipotent.
Core Value Love:
Definition: We live love by accepting the spiritual essence and fostering the well being of all.
Rationale (why): Love is the essence of our being, for we are made in the image and likeness of God. We are in harmony with our essence and speak the language of God in our thoughts, words and actions.
- Unity of Buffalo recognizes and honors the divinity in all.
- Unity of Buffalo teaches, practices, and models loving communication.
- Unity of Buffalo fosters classes, programs, and workshops that teach the value and practice of love.
- I set the intention to call forth the fullness of love within me by taking a deep breath and going to my heart center to feel the essence of my being.
- I love and care for myself as I care for others.
- I take responsibility for my own feelings and responses, and practice patience and forgiveness as I and others develop our ability to love.
Core Value: Spiritually Centered
Definition: We live centered on “One Presence and One Power” in our thoughts, words and actions.
Rationale (why): As spiritual beings we are co-creators with God and are guided by this truth consciousness to create a spiritually loving community and world.
- Unity of Buffalo teaches and practices meditation, affirmative prayer, and forgiveness as tools of spiritual connection.
- Unity of Buffalo begins each Sunday service by affirming “There is only One Presence and One Power, living as the universe and as me, God the good, omnipotent.”
- Unity of Buffalo holds “One Presence and One Power” as a foundational principle in our classes, workshops, and in the face of human conditions.
- I pray and meditate daily to be aware of my spiritual essence.
- I ask for and follow spiritual guidance.
- I ask myself “What would Christ (the conscious spiritual presence) do in this situation?”
Core Value: Inlcusive
Definition: We are aware of our spiritual oneness, value each person, honor our diversity, and accept all as co-equal spiritual beings.
Rationale (why): Recognizing our common spiritual essence and seeing God in everyone leads us to be a genuinely diverse and inclusive spiritual community.
- Unity of Buffalo accepts all people as children of God.
- Unity of Buffalo invites and encourages participation in all aspects of our ministry.
- Unity of Buffalo's actvities reflect the diverse interests of our community.
- I see the face of God in every person.
- I appreciate the diversity in my world and show respect for ways of life different from my own.
- I warmly welcome newcomers and express interest in others.
Core Value: Open
Definition: We are an open-hearted, open minded community that welcomes people, ideas and experiences.
Rationale (why): Being open is essential to the flow of energy that promotes our health and vitality as individuals and as a thriving ministry.
- Unity of Buffalo fosters a culture of open discussion and dialogue.
- Unity of Buffalo warmly welcomes newcomers.
- Unity of Buffalo honors and incorporates wisdom from many spiritual traditions in our services and music.
- I am open to change emerging in me as I grow spiritually.
- I maintain an active interest in reading and learning about spiritual ideas.
- I am open to new ideas and listen respectfully to other points of view.
Core Value: Peace
Definition: We live peace by being, thinking, and acting with calmness and equanimity.
Rationale (why): We reflect our deepest spiritual values through peaceful co-existence with all. Peaceful living is the deepest way of expressing true spirituality.
- Unity of Buffalo develops a peace consciousness through our programs, teachings and community involvement.
- Unity of Buffalo prominently displays our peace pole to make a statement that we stand for peace.
- Unity of Buffalo leaders model compassionate communication and teach how to resolve differences in a loving, nonviolent, constructive way.
- I remember that I am peace, and I reconnect with my spiritual center as i take a deep breath and focus on my heart before I speak or act.
- I train my thoughts to be accepting and peaceful, and when other emotions displace peace I affirm "I choose Peace instead of this."
- In the face of human conditions, I remind myself that God is greater than this appearance and affirm One Presence and One Power.