YOUTH EDUCATION DIRECTOR – updated July 25, 2018
Unity of Buffalo, Buffalo, New York
Job Title: Youth Education Director
Reports to: Senior Minister
General Description of the Position: The Director of Youth Education is responsible for the spiritual education of youth, for ages 4 through high school age, within our spiritual community. In keeping with Unity principles, the director implements the elements of an inspiring youth program including relevant curriculum, age-appropriate classroom environments, community-building activities, and a team of well-trained adult volunteers who are themselves Unity students.
Inquiries and applications are now being accepted.
Anyone who is interested is requested to submit a cover letter and resume by August 8 to Rev. Mary at:
Unity of Buffalo
1243 Delaware Avenue
Buffalo, New York 14209
Specific Duties and Responsibilities include:
1. Develop youth programs for children from birth through high school.
2. Recruit, train, appreciate and nurture youth ministry volunteers and staff.
3. Select age-appropriate curricula and program materials used in all programs, with an emphasis upon Unity-developed curricula.
4. Communicate and collaborate with the minister and staff in the service of youth.
5. Engage the services of regional and national youth ministry consultants as needed.
6. Attend scheduled staff meetings and meet regularly with the supervising minister.
7. Attend seminars and workshops for professional development. (Requests for funding by the church should be made in advance according to Church policies.)
8. Provide articles for church communications.
9. Provide a quarterly report to the minister.
10. Be accountable for youth ministry expenditures, work with the Senior Minister to obtain authorization for expenditures and reimbursement for approved expenses.
11. Maintain a system of administrative records, equipment and supplies inventory. Also maintain the youth education room space to help keep it clean, safe and orderly.
12. Perform other duties as requested.
The Director of Youth Education shall have a passion for working with youth and will demonstrate experience and qualifications in this area. The Director will fully embrace the Unity teachings and have an ever-unfolding vision of youth ministry and its possibilities in the 21st century. The Director will recognize the infinite potential that each child possesses and have a commitment to using spiritual principles, including prayer, in their work and personal life
This is a part-time position with the expectation that the person work on average four to five hours per week. This includes three hours on Sunday mornings and two hours per week for planning, preparation, and other meetings as needed. Six paid vacation days (Sundays) are allowed per year.
• Must have been an active Unity congregant with this church for a period of at least one year.
• Grounded in Unity teachings with a demonstrated commitment to personal spiritual growth established through at least one year of regular attendance at church services and Unity adult education.
• Training and one year of experience in youth ministry or youth education (or an equivalent).
• Team-oriented leadership style compatible with children and adults.
• Talent for organized thinking and action.
• Clear, inspirational writing and interpersonal skills.
• Computer proficiency including regularly checking emails.
• Commitment to and alignment with church mission, vision and core values.
• Commitment to work within Church policies, procedures and employment policies.
• Experience supervising adults as employees or volunteers is a plus.
• Please note: Job candidates must agree to a background check before they will be hired. Also, a screening application must be completed by all adults working with our youth education program.
• B.A. or B.S. in Education or Child and Family Development (or the equivalent).
• Certified Spiritual Educator or Licensed Unity Teacher, or willingness to work toward completion of these qualifications.
Unity is a diverse spiritual community empowering growth and transformation.
All employment opportunities are provided without regard to race, sexual orientation, religion, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, marital status, domestic violence victim status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Unity of Buffalo will provide reasonable accommodations where required so long as the accommodation does not pose an undue hardship on Unity of Buffalo.
UNITY is a diverse spiritual community empowering growth and transformation.
Screening of applicants will begin as resumes come in and will continue until the position is filled. Further information including a job description is now posted on our church bulletin board and available in the church office, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
All employment opportunities are provided without regard to race, sexual orientation, religion, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, marital status, domestic violence victim status, or any other characteristic protected by law.